A boy dies from a rare brain eating amoeba say officials

After visiting Lake Mead, a boy dies from a rare brain-eating amoeba, according to officials.

Health officials report that a youngster has passed after following exposure to a rare brain-eating parasite at Lake Mead, a well-liked leisure spot close to Las Vegas.

The officially named Naegleria fowleri brain-eating amoeba enters the body through the nose and can cause swelling, convulsions, comas, and usually death.

The child, whose hometown was Las Vegas and whose age was not disclosed, was thought to have travelled to the Arizona side of Lake Mead in the first few days of October.

About a week later, according to the Southern Nevada Health District, he started exhibiting symptoms.

District claims: "Naegleria fowleri is a naturally occurring amoeba, and there is no normal test for it. Though it has been frequently detected in freshwater basins."

Although infections are frequently fatal, some uncommon treatments are available.

Dr. Daliah Wachs, "With a parasite, we have to use uncommon antiparasitic drug."

There is no risk of the amoeba contaminating Las Vegas' drinking water systems, according to officials.